Best Way to Protect Your Social Security Number, In a recent scenario, everything is at risk, especially when it comes to the Social Security cards. When we think of identity theft, we automatically think about laptops or computers and stealing our personal information over the web in a digital manner. However, there are lots of other ways to steal an identity.
Aside from digital devices, the easiest method of having your identity stolen is through the utilization of physical media such as your driver’s license, Medicare card, or Social Security card. Hackers are trying their efforts to lose your personal identification numbers from vital documents.
Best Way to Protect Your Social Security Number
The Importance of Change
Do you tend to carry your SS card around with you? In any case, if you lose your SS card by having your wallet stolen, then you should be very careful. Identity theft or hacker can have a chance to steal your information as you have given them a way to access your SS card. Of course, many people leave their SS cards at home, but what about the millions of persons who are recently on Medicare?
People with Medicare cards have to take those cards with them, which have vital information including their Social Security Number and date of birth. And it is of greater concern because stolen information can be used for wrong things.
Must Read: Social Security Number Searches And What Importance It Holds?
A new law to protect SSN
If we see the reports, there are hundreds of cases, where we can find allegations of people who have SSNs inbuilt in their Medicare cards. They have complained that their cards are misused or fraud. With scammers coming up with more intricate methods of getting SS benefits, more and more people are seeking tips and tricks to protect their money.
More than 33 states prohibit the utilization of personal identification numbers on insurance cards or Medicare cards because these numbers are not required for patients to get treatment. The govt. has issued a new plan to safeguard the Social Security number from thefts. This new legislation is named as the SSN Protection Act.
Must Read: A Quick Guide To Shield Your Social Security Number
The intention of the SS Protection Act
According to this act, it is stated that these numbers showing your SS information could not be utilized on a federal level. From the context, it means that beneficiaries who have obtained Medicare cards recently, they would not SS numbers on them.
Now, any citizen can carry their Medicare-based program cards along with them without having the stress of attaining their numbers stolen by anyone. Social Security Numbers have no value for Medicare cards and insurance cards. When your SSN is utilized with your date of birth, thieves can make use of open credit cards, or any other means.
Tips and tricks to consider
Along with this law, lots of other tips that can be implemented to protect your SSN from being lost. Let’s go through some tips and guidelines that can support you in taking care of your personal information including SS numbers. Understand them: It is always advised to place your SS card in a secure place and we think, there is nothing safe than our homes. By protecting your SS number, you can avoid many losses to take place in your life.
- Sometimes, regarding anything, SSA employees can contact the beneficiaries, but the chances are very few. But all you need to do is to make sure that person is contacting you are from SSA. For that reason, you can place a call at the local SS office or another helpline 1 800 772 1213.
- If any situation, SSA may contact you, but you will not get fooled by giving them personal information in an email or over the phone. Keep in mind; they will not ask you any kind of information related to SS cards because they have this information in their records.
- Sometimes, if you have mentioned your personal information on any paper or in any document like name, SS number, and date of birth. To protect this information, the one and only method is to shred that paper if not needed and if needed, keep the paper in a safe place, where no one can reach easily.
- Bank or financial accounts should be checked on a regular basis. Check whether or not there may be some suspicious transactions. If yes, then contact the bank to seal the account immediately or take any kind of action when required.
- If you use the computer or laptop and mention the SS number anywhere online, then it is your duty to safeguard it as well. The best method is to install the latest and strong anti-virus software or app on your device and make sure to update it on a daily basis.
- Make sure to have a free credit report from Trans Union, Experian, and Equifax every year.
- Try to make your passwords strong by including characters or much more. It is important to have a password that cannot be guessed at all.
- There is no need to believe texts, calls, or emails that may claim you giving lottery winnings and you will have to pay for it. You may get calls regarding fixing an issue with the govt. and they need some payment to be paid by you. Avoid these things.
- Do not click on the links sent to you in uninvited texts or emails. You should provide your information only to the websites you trust.
- Last but not least, you should stay updated on recent scams. For that reason, you can refer to the official website of the Social Security Administration.
Overall, maintaining your personal information on a Medicare card, an insurance card, or any other card should be your call. For that, contacting the SSA would be the best option. Even, the internet can also help you in getting the latest updates regarding the protection of Social Security numbers.
To receive Social Security benefits, protecting the SS numbers is also of higher importance. Make sure to follow all the above-mentioned guidelines for preventing and protecting SS numbers.